We believe it is extremely important that the children have a say in how their school is run – they will spend 8872.5 hours of their lives at Sherwell Valley!
Regretfully due to COVID-19 the School Council has been suspended for the year beginning September, 2020. However to give you an idea of what normally happens, please read on...
The School Council offers pupils a voice in the decision making process. Each class from Year 2 to year 6 elects a councillor to represent their views at School Council meetings. Each councillor serves for a period of one year – though they may be re-elected if their classmates feel they have done a good job putting forward their views.
Each October, at the first meeting of the new Council, the councillors elect a Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer.
The children generate the agenda for School Council meetings through discussions at their class council meetings. All agenda items are discussed: minutes are kept along with a recording of any actions required. The School Council has its own budget and is accountable for expenditure. There have been many, many achievements and initiatives over the years directly as a result of the School Council. Things that have happened – or got better – as a result of our School council this year:
Achievements this year:
- Supported these charities:
- Cancer Research (UK)
- Save The Children
- Animals in Distress
- Children In Need
- Comic Relief
- Butter & Ketchup available some lunchtimes
- Toilets and Fountains: much better maintained
- Clean up the KS2 Playground; new company looking after grounds
- Ensure the Quiet Area stays quiet
- Extra sanitary bins
- Years 5 and 6 Dinners: change to rota
- New School Rules: most children following
- New Lockers
- Bigger Trophy shelf
- New Playground Games: purchased by Council
- Tag reinstated
- New Playground Balls etc: purchased by Council
- Chickens: purchased along with food, bedding etc
- Red band - Winter
- Yellow band - Karma
- Blue band - Daisy
- Green band - Harriet