In this section you will find information about how the National Curriculum is delivered to our pupils
At Sherwell Valley Primary School we have developed a curriculum that is owned by us for all of the children in our school community. Using Government guidelines we have created our own unique curriculum to enhance the children's learning. Our curriculum is broad and balanced and remains at the heart of education.
As a group of leaders we have worked on every aspect of the curriculum to ensure:
- that it's intent clearly sets out the knowledge and skills that all children will gain at their time as Sherwell Valley
- that it is implemented in a robust and exciting way to ensure all pupils make progress using creative resources and opportunities that will skill children for lifelong learning.
- finally that it has an impact on every child (refer also to the SEND policy)
Our curriculum is proactive, it has transferable skills, it deepens understanding and it is skilful in its performance.
At Sherwell Valley we are passionate and committed to ensuring the best learning outcomes for all our pupils and we believe our curriculum provides this.
If you require any further information, please contact the School and speak to the Curriculum Leader.
To view our Curriculum Accessibility Plan Policy for equality and special education needs, please click on: https://www.sherwell-valley-primary.torbay.sch.uk/send/
Phonics and Reading Scheme:
Read, Write Inc.
In Key Stage 0, Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 at our School it is our aim that every child becomes a fluent reader. For this reason we teach phonics through ‘Read, Write Inc.’. This programme is systematic, structured and rooted in synthetic phonics, ensuring children read fluently by the age of 7. To find out more about the Read Write Inc Programme used at Sherwell Valley, please:
- Watch and listen to our video: Read, Write Inc.
- Take a look at the presentation below (which includes the notes section) from the meeting for parents 29.09.22
- Download the Letter Formation Chart below
- Visit this website: Read Write Inc
When children have completed Read, Write Inc. they begin Accelerated Reader which is an online reading platform that supports children to read books that are appropriately challenging and allows children to take a quiz after completing each book to check their comprehension.
For for information about this, please click here
"Teaching and support staff assess children's progress frequently and accurately. Children are keen to learn, are able to make progress in all other areas of learning and are able to share their thoughts and ideas. A wide range of stimulating activities, indoors and outdoors, engage and interest children."
Ofsted June 2018